When Is Is Safe To Swim After Shocking Pool?

When Is Is Safe To Swim After Shocking Pool?

Projections show that the global residential swimming pool market will reach a value of $3.8 billion by 2030.

Swimming pools can make a great addition to a home, but if you have one, you must ensure you care for it properly. One of the most important parts of pool maintenance is shocking your pool. When doing this, you’ll need to wait a while before you can swim.

So why do you need to wait to swim after shocking a pool? Keep reading to find out.

What Does “Shocking” Mean?

Shocking a pool involves adding chemicals to make the water safe to swim in. The chemical balance of a pool needs to be correct – when chemical levels are off, the water can cause issues like skin or eye irritation and promote algae and harmful bacteria growth.

There are various types of shock available, but they all have the same overall purpose. You should shock your pool roughly once a week, but you may want to do it more or less frequently depending on the weather and how much use your pool gets.

Can You Go in a Pool After Shocking It?

It is advised not to go into the pool immediately after shocking it. Add the shock while the pump is running, and leave it going for around 8-12 hours so that the chemicals can properly circulate.

Circulating the shock will enable it to mix within the water properly and prevent bleaching the pool’s walls and floor.

Can I Swim 12 Hours After Shocking the Pool?

When done right, the shock should have been thoroughly mixed into the water within 12 hours.

When entering the swimming pool, it is vital to test the water first to ensure the chlorine levels are safe. If you find the chlorine level too high, you should allow more time before entering the pool.

The safe chlorine levels to swim in should be maintained between 1.0 and 3.0 parts per million (ppm). If, after 12 hours, the chlorine levels are between the proper ppm’s, it’s okay to enter; if not, wait until the levels are correct.

What Happens if You Go in a Pool That Was Just Shocked?

If you’ve accidentally swum in a shocked pool, you’ve probably had an unpleasant experience. When the chemical levels are too high, they’re likely to cause eye and skin irritation.

Shock contains high amounts of chlorine and bleach, both of which can be harmful. Once it’s dissolved, the concentration will decrease to become safer to swim in; however, a high concentration can be highly corrosive and a health risk.

If you swim in a pool too soon after shocking it, you may need to seek medical attention.

The First Swim After Shocking a Pool

Shocking a pool is essential, but you should give it time to dissolve and get to the proper levels before swimming. If you want to swim after shocking a pool, you should wait a minimum of 12 hours, but longer is recommended when the chlorine levels are still too high.

BPS the Backyard Pool Specialists is a professional pool installation and maintenance service. If you need new pool construction, outdoor kitchens, water and fire features and maintenance for your pool, we can do these for you. No job is too large or too small. To find out more about our services, click here to contact us today.